Monday 30 November 2009

Adopt-a-class

Dear all,

We were invited at the end of last year to take part in the University of Bristol's 'Adopt-a-Class' scheme.

Students studying one or more languages at university are asked to complete a year abroad. Some of these students work as English Language Assistants in German schools.

I thought it would be good for you to read about life in Germany and the possibilities learning a language opens up to you. So meet Charlotte Levey and read about her early experiences of the German education system...

Hello Stephanie (and Year 12),

As I am working in a primary school I only really have first hand
knowledge of the start of German education, but I will tell you what I
know! I think the systems vary between the Bundeslaender as well, so this
information is specific to Saxony although I am sure that, for the most
part, it will apply to other Laender too.

The children in my primary school are between 5 and 10 years old - this is
the 1. to the 4. class. After they finish at the Grundschule they will go
on to either a Realschule, Gymnasium or Hauptschule, depending on their
abilities. Up to the 5. class however they are not put into sets or
streamed at all. Some, but not all, of them have previously attended a
Kindergarten. It is possible, even at this young age, for them to be held
back a year if they do not perform well - as I have heard my mentor
teacher reminding students who have not properly learnt their homework!
In English the pupils must regularly prepare for a 'Zensur' in the 4.
class - basically an assessed piece of work to monitor their performance -
but not the pupils in the 3. class. In my school the pupils begin English
in the 3. class (so at 7 years old) but I know of schools that start
English lessons as soon as the children enter the Grundschule. Homework
is set in most lessons. Afterschool care is provided for the children
whose parents cannot take them home due to work commitments - which means
most of the parents at my school.

Apart from this I would say that a German primary school is similar to an
English one - apart from the early start: lessons run from 7:30 to 13:00.

I hope this is useful! If I can help with any questions please email me
and I'll try to answer them - I have friends working in different types of
schools so I can ask them if necessary.

With best wishes,

Charlotte

No comments: